Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Mega-Meg to the Rescue

"Best friends are one brain in two bodies"

Halloween 2007
This is the quote that Megan Hickman and I used to define our relationship when we were in middle school. I met Megan at Gateway Middle School on the seventh grade softball team. We really became friends the next year in Mr. Lunder’s eighth-grade block class. That year we had many sleepovers, and bike adventures and long talks. We listened to a lot of Taylor Swift and even developed a secret code that we used to write notes to each other. We had a great time together on our eighth-grade trip to Washington DC before we started the big adventure of high school, only we didn't know just how adventurous it would be.

I can say without a doubt that I would not have made it through treatment as well as I did without Megan. It is difficult to describe just how important she was to me, but I think this story illustrates it pretty well.

When I was in the ICU with necrotizing fasciitis, in a rare moment of coherence I wanted four things.
– To stop the study protocol, (this meant many fewer pills per day and fewer side effects)
– To see a therapist, (which Dr. Leary had been encouraging me to do)
– To stop school

But the number one thing I wanted was to see Megan.

Sunday at the Hospital
Megan was my only friend who stuck with me and supported me all the way through treatment and beyond. I don't know what to say to express how incredible she was. She visited me every Sunday when I was in the hospital with Nec Fasc. She frequently visited me at my house where we spent many hours on the couch watching movies and talking and napping. She decorated my room when I finished radiation. She did so many things to try to get support from my friends at school, making posters for people to sign and gave me a whole role of receipt tape filled with notes from classmates. When she called to see if I was up for a visit and I said I wasn't feeling up for one, she'd say, "That's okay, do you want to talk?"
Run of Hope 2011

She made me laugh (usually at the same joke that I'd forgotten from her last visit), she made me smile but most importantly she made me feel that I wasn't alone.

I'll be ever grateful for the friendship and support and love that Megan gave me. As I said before, I don't know what I would have done without her.




Mischief managed,
Thing 2

Halloween 2010
Run of Hope Total: $1,835 
To contribute, please visit:
 http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/sammy-loch/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment