Sunday, October 2, 2011

1 Year Later...Cancer Free

Sorry for the long gap between posts, it has just been really busy around here since school started. I still have physical therapy for my leg twice a week and have been progressing very well. For the past few weeks I have been walking with the boot and I will begin transitioning to a shoe this week. I also have driver’s ed twice a week and we try to practice driving any chance we get. Although I started as a very nervous driver, I am feeling much more comfortable behind the wheel.

Last Sunday, September 25, we participated in the 3rd annual Run of Hope. My team, Sammy’s Blobslayers, raised $3,857 this year. There were over 2,000 people at the event and over $200,000 will be going to the Olson Lab for pediatric brain tumor research. This year I was able to participate in the 3k walk. Sammy’s Blobslayers’ “turtle patrol” made it in 1 hour and 20 minutes and had a good time every step of the way. Next year I am hoping to get in under an hour. I had such a wonderful time at this year’s race. Thank you so much to my teammates and everyone who supported my team. You guys rock!


This past Wednesday I was at Children’s for my 1 year post treatment MRI. My scan was clean, nothing but a brain in there. Yay for 1 year cancer free!!! Sometimes treatment feels so long ago while other times it feels like it was yesterday. I can’t believe the difference a year makes. This year I am getting around so much better, I have eyebrows and hair, and I don’t feel tired all the time. It is nice to visit the hospital and leave rather than be visited in the hospital. My visits are more social than serious, which is a welcome change.

Friday was my final high school homecoming game. While our team lost really bad I still had a great time hanging out with my friends and dancing to the pep band. Megan and I took our annual picture, this year’s addition…eyebrows.
I am really excited for this school year. It's gonna be a great one!
Mischief Managed,
Sammy Loch

No comments:

Post a Comment